Index Quarterly Report
Issue 1, Q1-Q2 2012
RTB growth via ad exchanges - open and private - continues to fuel speculation and debate about the place this model will eventually find for itself in the online advertising ecosystem.
The purpose of the Index Quarterly Report is to contribute to the conversation, by disclosing the hard facts emerging from actual data harvested from the RTB activity taking place on Index Platform, the Supply Side Platform developed by Casale Media.
The first issue of the report, covering the first two quarters of 2012, includes the following findings:
- RTB is growing, along with the number of players involved
- "Big brands" belonging to a handful of sectors are currently the main participants on the buy side, but smaller brands are claiming their share
- A small number of DSPs claim the lion's share of RTB buying, but data shows that they are being put to the test by advertisers
- Prices are on the rise, albeit modestly
- Over 99% of impressions are delivered as standard banners, but rich media and larger units could disturb this picture
Overall, it is apparent that the RTB model is still in the process of establishing itself. It will be interesting to observe the shape that it will evolve into over the next few quarters.